What can we do with Notes?
One of the main features of Hoylu are Notes. They allow the presentation of information in a clear and organized manner, more so than just plain text.
Adding a Note
To add a Note to the Workspace.
1. Drag it from the Toolbar and drop it into the Workspace.
Figure 1: Adding Sticky Notes
You can also add notes by:
- Double-Click anywhere in the Workspace to create a new Sticky Note. The same settings (colors, shape, etc.) you had with your last note, will now remain with the new Sticky Note.
- Additionally, to make this more visible, you can also click once, and an indicator box will appear. Click the indicator box again and the Sticky Note will appear.
To change the Note color from the Toolbar Select the Note Icon then select the Color icon pop-up. This will pop-up a color drawer to choose from.
Resizing a Note
You can drag a Note to the Workspace and when it appears it will have blue corner points to adjust.
1. Click and drag any of the corner points to adjust the shape.
Figure 2: Resizing Notes.
You can also resize a Note by selecting it with one of the selection tools.
1. When the yellow Halo appears around the object, select and drag the cursor outward or inward to stretch the object.
Figure 3: Resizing Notes with Halo
To choose custom colors for your notes:
1. Drop a Note into the Workspace
2. Select the Note
3. Select the Note Color Box in the Attribute menu
4. Select the plus icon in the color drawer
5. Find the color you want by panning around the color box or entering a color code
6. Select the Plus icon next to the color code and repeat this process up to 60 times
7. Select the color boxes to confirm you want to add the custom colors to your color pallet
8. Select Save.
To use custom colors on your Notes:
1. Select the note you'd like to use a custom color on
2. Select the Note Color box in the Attribute menu
3. Select the Custom color you wish to use
Editing Text within a Note
To edit the text within a Note you must:
1. Drag and drop a Note into the Workspace.
2. Verify you're in the edit view by locating the rich text tool.
3. Change font and font style by selecting the font icon and text style icon.
4. Change the font size by selecting the font size icon or selecting the up / down arrows in the rich text tool.
5. Change the text color as well as note color by using the text color icon and background icon in the rich text tool.
6. Adjust the text alignment by selecting the alignment icon in the rich text tool.
Figure 4: Rich Text Tool Layout
Note to Shape
To change a Note to a Shape:
1. Drag and drop a Note into the Workspace.
2. Within the edit mode of a Note select the ABC icon.
3. Select the Shape you'd like your Note to change to.
Figure 5: Shapes Icon and Edit Options
Outline your Shape
1. Within the edit mode, select the border icon.
2. Select border color, and size.
Make your Shape translucent
1. Within the edit mode, select the background icon.
2. Select the Shape background color and transparency.
Figure 6: Changing Outline and Opacity of Shapes
✏️Note: When trying to change an outline or opacity of a Shape be sure the object is a Shape and not a Note. (You will want to click and drag the desired shape from the Toolbox in order to see this feature)
Note Context Menu
Using the Context Menu on a Note you can make multiple edits to your note.
1. Select/ click once on an existing Note.
2. From here you will see some of the same edit features as the rich text bar, with a few new options under the three-dot menu.
Figure 6: Context menu.
Adding Links to a Note:
Within a note, you can add a link to a URL. When a user selects this link they are taken to the URL in a separate tab or window.
1. Select/ click the Note you want to add a link to
2. Select the three-dot menu on the right side of the context menu
3. Select the Link Editor Icon from the menu
4. In the pop-up: type or paste the link and select Apply. The hyperlink will appear as an icon in the top left corner of the Note.
Figure 8: Adding a Link to a Note
Removing a Link:
To remove the link you've added to a note:
1. Select the Note you want to remove a link from with one of the selection tools in the Toolbox or by right-clicking on the Note.
2. Select the Menu Icon
3. Select the Link Icon from the menu
4. In the pop-up: Select Remove Link
Figure 9: Removing a Link
Notes can be connected to other Notes by clicking and dragging from pin to pin. This feature helps show relationships, sequences, or dependencies in a Workspace.
1. At the top of each Note is a circle called a PIN. Select and hold the pin on the first Note.
2. Drag your cursor to the Note you want to Connect to the first Note.
✏️Note: The arrow will flow in the direction in relation to the sequence in which you've selected the Notes. If you select a Note the Connected Notes will highlight with a blue shadow for easier recognition.
Figure 10: Connecting Notes